The Registration and Borrowing Rules of the Slavonic Library
The following rules were issued according to the Rules and Regulations of the National Library of the Czech Republic from 10 February 2014. They reflect the specific position of the Slavonic Library (hereinafter as the SL) in the framework of the structure of the National Library of the Czech Republic (hereinafter as the NL CR).
User Registration and Borrowing Options
Article 1) Library cards valid for the entire National Library of the CR are issued and renewed in the Hall of Services. A separate reader’s account for the services of the Slavonic Library is activated at the Circulation Desk of the Slavonic Library.
Article 2) All registered users are entitled to in-house loans with the possibility of using interlibrary loan services (ILL).
Article 3) Home loans can be provided to users who have completed the age of 18 and are:
a) citizens of the CR;
b) foreign nationals with a permanent residence permit in the CR;
c) EU citizens with a long-term residence permit in the CR.
Article 1) Home Loans
The books from the SL collections published since 1950 can be loaned out.
A reader can borrow a maximum of thirty items at a time, EU citizens with a long-term residence permit in the CR five volumes.
Article 2) In-House Use
- The following items are reserved for in-house use:
a) books published before 1950;
b) historical collections (unique archival materials, manuscripts, early printed books, visual materials);
c) electronic documents;
d) newspapers and journals;
e) bibliophile items, rare pictorial publications; books with a high purchase price;
f) library items from the reference library;
g) library items whose borrowing would be inconsistent with Czech law;
h) library items borrowed through domestic and international interlibrary loan services (ILL).
Article 3) Limitations on Loans
- If a library item becomes too fragile to borrow home, the director of the division, his or her deputy or the heads of individual departments may include the item among those for in-house use only.
- Unique and rare collections, works deteriorating from excessive use, valuable items subject to theft, and documents available in electronic form are loaned only for justified research purposes. The decision on the loan is made by the SL.
Article 4) Home-Loan Periods
- Library items from the SL collection are loaned for the following periods:
a) The basic loan period is one month.
b) The prolonged loan period is two months (for researchers and teachers specialised in the field of Slavonic studies, translators from Slavic languages, members of the Academic Council of the SL, and the National Library staff).
- The loan period can be extended up to six months, for EU citizens with a long-term residence permit up to four months.
- A user’s eligibility for extended loans is determined by the employee of the SL activating the reader’s account. Exceptions may be allowed by the head of the Public Services Department or the director of the division.
Article 5) Library-Item Delivery
- Library items deposited in the Klementinum are delivered every hour on the hour.
- Library items from the Central Depository of the NL CR in Prague – Hostivař are available at the Circulation Desk of the SL in the afternoon of the next day.
- If the reader requests newspapers from the Central Depositary of the NL CR in Prague – Hostivař in more than ten volumes, the materials requested are available by agreement in the Reading Room of the Central Depositary of the NL CR in Prague – Hostivař.
Prague, 1 August 2019
PhDr. Lukáš Babka
director of the Slavonic Library