Closure of the National Library
Due to the recent escalation of the COVID-19 infection, the National Library management decided to close the physical sites of the National Library of the CR from March11, 2020, until further notice. This measure concerns both the Klementinum area and the Central Depository in Hostivař, where one of the reading rooms is situated.
All public events in the Klementinum Mirror Chapel and the Klementinum Gallery as well as guided tours to the Baroque Library and Astronomical Tower have been suspended from March11 , 2020.
These arrangements have been made after careful consideration and on the basis of measures taken by the State Security Council together with an assessment of the situation in the National Library of the CR.
Loans, booked documents, and prolongation of NL reader´s cards
Loan period of already realised loans is prolonged until 20 April, 2020.
Loans that were to be returned by 10 March and were not will not be charged for delayed return from March 11 to April 20, 2020. Loans with the loan period ending before March 10, 2020, which have not been returned in time, will be charged for delay for the days until March 10, 2020. This does not apply to loans that have not been returned and are enforced by law.
The booked but uncollected off-site loans will be available when the library reopens.
The National Library continues to provide online services:
- reference services – Are you looking for specific information, do you need to recommend at least a few books or articles on a particular topic? We´ll be pleased to help you. Although we cannot access the NL physical collections in this situation, we can consult other sources to answer your questions. You can write us and send your questions:
- by e-mail at email@example.com
- through a special form
- using the service Ask Your Library
- using chat Ask Your Library – in working days, we answer your questions online from 9 am to 4 pm. When we are offline, you can leave us a message and we will answer you by e-mail; kindly don´t forget to leave us your e-mail address.
- research service (paid service) – search for books and articles on the requested topic.
NL online sources:
- Catalogues and databases of the NL CR (it is not possible to place an order)
- Licensed Databases accessible through remote access (only if you have a valid NL reader´s card without any offence)
- Multimedia search engine EDS that combines information from many licensed and free databases; you can use EDS as:
- a visitor (it means without being registered as a NL reader, you will get access only to full texts of documents that are not copyrighted), or
- a registered NL user through remote access (you can access the whole content that is made accessible through EDS by the NL CR).
- Digital Libraries of the NL CR
- Works that are not covered by copyright are freely accessible.
- Copyrighted works contained in the digital library Kramerius 5 are made accessible in the reading régime to students and pedagogues of public and private universities and high schools for the period of the state of emergency on the basis of the agreement between the NL CR and DILIA.