Rules for using the Internet and electronic data sources in the Reference Centre of the National Library
- The Internet is accessible only to registred users, who have their own valid National Library card. Registred users can access the computers for free.
- Users who want to work with computers in the Reference Centre have to book computer via the User's Accounts (link User) in NKC database.
- Users can book computers 10 days ahead for a maximum of one hour daily on the Internet and for two hours on the CD ROM, online sources, CD-ROM databases or Digital Library.
- After 10 min. the entitlement for a place expires.
List of computers - priorities:
computers no. 1 and 2 - Digital Library computers no. 3 and 4 - Online licensed databases
- e-mail (15 min.)
computer no.5 - Online licensed databases, databases of the National Library,
- e-mail (15 min.)
computers no. 6 - 7 - local and network CD ROM, databases of the National Library computers no. 8 - 10 - Online licensed databases
e-mail (15 min.)
computers no. 11 - 18 - Internet and text editor computer no. 22 - local CD-ROM, it is not possible to book this computer via User's Account in the ILL room: computers no. 20 and 21 - for the needs of ILL services, it is not possible to book this computer via User's Account
- Computers no.3-5 and 8-10 are mainly for online sources. In
case that they are not used they can be used for e-mail (15
min.). When some other users need to use online sources, it is
necessary to stop all the work.
- The users can store their results of research directly on a
floppy disk. On the computers 6-7 and 22 it is possible only to
use formatted floppy disks (before they begin to work, the users
should ask the staff to format a floppy disk), opionally they
can use a floppy disk bought at the RC desk (the price is 7,50 Czech crowns). They can print files after an agreement with the
staff (on place a maximum of 20 pages - for the price of 2,-
Czech crowns). More pages would be printed on the next day. The
staff always decides about printing according to the situation
in the reading room.
Users may work with their own CD-ROMs only if there is no special software requirement. The staff has a right to check them.
The Library reserves the right to adapt the run of the reading room to the present situation.
- All computers can be monitored.
- Users are obliged to abide by the general assignments of the Library regulations of the National Library of the Czech Republic and to use data sources on the Internet in accordance with legal and moral regulations. Viewing websites promoting ethnic hatred, racism and any other intolerance leading to suppression of human rights and freedoms, and pornography sites is in the NL possible only if a user has a letter of recommendation (from a school, employer, etc.) stating that he needs to see these pages for research reasons. If you repeatedly break the rules you can be stripped of your Reference Centre privileges.